In December 2015 the State Government released the draft Perth and Peel Green Growth Plan for 3.5 million (Draft Green Growth Plan). The Draft Green Growth Plan is open for public comment until 8 April 2016 and can be accessed at this link:
Purpose of the Draft Green Growth Plan
The purpose of the Draft Green Growth Plan is to:
- Cut red tape to secure upfront Commonwealth environmental approval and streamline State environmental approval for development necessary to support 3.5 million people in the Perth and Peel regions; and
- Protect bushland, rivers, wildlife and wetlands through the implementation of a comprehensive plan to protect the environment.
Implementation of the Draft Green Growth Plan
The Draft Green Growth Plan is to be implemented by:
- Retaining existing Bush Forever sites and protecting important populations of threatened species and ecological communities; and
- Acquiring 170,000 hectares of land for conservation reserves across the Perth and Peel Regions.
It is highly likely that land to be acquired will be reserved (under Region or Local Planning Schemes) and that the future reserves are currently privately owned. Accordingly, there may be opportunities for land owners to sell their land to the State or seek compensation from the State government for injurious affection as a consequence of any reservation under the Planning and Development Act 2005 (WA) or for compulsory taking under the Land Administration Act 1997 (WA).
How Lavan Legal can assist you
If you have any land likely to be affected, Lavan Legal has an experienced Planning and Environment and Land Compensation team who can assist you to:
- Make a submission to the State Government in relation to the Draft Green Growth Plan; or
- Advise you on any potential compensation claims you may have against the State government in the future.
Disclaimer – the information contained in this publication does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. You should seek legal advice in relation to any particular matter you may have before relying or acting on this information. The Lavan team are here to assist.