Health, Safety and Wellbeing
Lavan is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for our people, clients and visitors.
We recognise that a healthy, safe, and supportive working environment can positively affect the physical and psychological wellbeing of our people. We take responsibility to create and maintain a positive and supportive work culture that promotes connectedness, inclusiveness and a sharing of responsibilities.
Lavan’s health, safety and wellbeing initiatives are a continual and evolving process and include the following:
Lavan recognises the importance of taking steps to reduce workplace stressors. As part of this process, our people are offered the following health and related benefits:
- Personal training and Pilates classes throughout the week;
- The Firm makes a financial contribution towards gym memberships;
- Bowls of fresh fruit are provided around the office every day;
- A continental breakfast is available in the Staff Lounge each morning. This venue and its balcony are open all day for our people to eat lunch or meet up with colleagues in a relaxed and comfortable environment with first class facilities provided;
- An ongoing invitation to enjoy refreshments and relax in the Staff Lounge at the end of their working day;
- Seminars on health, stress and personal wellbeing are provided on a regular basis throughout the year;
- Professional chiropractic assessments, eye and hearing tests, and therapeutic massages are offered throughout the year;
- Flu injections are offered each year;
- Lavan supports and actively encourages participation in various sporting activities including the Rottnest Swim, HBF Run for a Reason and The City to Surf;
- Professional counselling is made available to our people as required through the Firm’s Employment Assistance Program provider, People Sense;
- Ergonomic assessments are available on request;
- The Firm has a Corporate Healthcare Agreement with HBF and Medibank and can offer our people a discount on their membership fees; and
- The Firm provides all new staff with a thorough and intensive induction programme to assist them to settle in and to provide information on the Firm’s policies and procedures as well as systems training. As part of the induction programme, our people are advised from the outset where they can turn for help and support.
Health and safety
At Lavan, safety is everyone’s responsibility. The Firm provides and maintains a working environment in which all steps are taken to ensure our people are not exposed to hazards. Our people are also encouraged to take reasonable care to ensure their own safety and health at work, and to avoid adversely affecting the safety or health of others.
The Firm’s health and safety priority is reflected in the following considerations:
- not endangering any other person through any act or omission at work;
- the need to report all work-related accidents as soon as they occur;
- immediately reporting apparent hazards in or around the office eg electronic equipment, broken fixtures and fittings; and
- maintaining an awareness of and complying with office evacuation and emergency procedures.
The Firm meets its health and safety responsibilities in the following ways:
- In the event of fire or other threats to safety, the Firm is equipped with an intercom system and fire alarms;
- Floor wardens are appointed and trained in first aid and in how to direct our people, clients and visitors to the assembly areas and to assist them in exiting the building;
- First aid supplies for minor injuries are dispensed and controlled by the Firm and administered by the People & Culture Team;
- All boiling water taps are equipped with safety switches to prevent accidental burns;
- Domestic and family violence leave is available on request;
- A full induction is provided for all new staff, who are provided with an induction manual which includes evacuation protocol for the building;
- There is a sick bay/wellness room available on request;
- Staff are made aware that an incident/hazard form must be completed when reporting apparent hazards or incidents in or around the office, and detailed records are maintained;
- A defibrillator is available for health emergencies; and
- A duress alarm is installed and can be easily activated if necessary. The alarm is silent but activates a bright blue flashing light to alert other staff to the emergency. Building security can also be notified if necessary.
Please click here to read Lavan's Health, Safety and Wellbeing policy.